Sports Mama Tip: Five 2018 Sports Mom New Year's Resolutions

Resolution (noun): a firm decision to do or not to do something.

At the beginning of each and every new year, most of us make a New Year's resolution. Sometimes it's to lose weight, eat healthier, spend less money. And according to one commonly cited statistic, only 8% of us keep them. I've probably been a part of the other 92% more often than not. But this year, I am aiming to be with the minority.

Today I'm sharing with you 5 sports mama resolutions that I not only think we can all benefit from, but more importantly that I think we can all actually keep!

  1. Be present. I don't just mean physically showing up to practices and games. I mean paying more attention. Putting your book or smart phone away and catching as much of the action as you can. Being able to remember a specific play if your child brings it up later.
  2. Be positive. Be positive about how they played individually, how they played as a team, how the coach coached, and how the officials officiated. Be positive whether they win or lose. Our job is to be their number one fan, not their number one critic.
  3. Be supportive. Help out whenever and wherever you can. Get them to games on time, organize post-game snacks, work the clock, volunteer to carpool, fill in if the coach will be absent. All these little things greatly contribute to the overall success (or lack thereof!) of the team.
  4. Be understanding. Understand that they won't always have a great game. Understand that they won't always win. Understand that they won't always play the position you'd like them to play. Understand that they are the athlete, not you.
  5. Be their mom. Not their coach. Not the referee. Not their harshest critic. Be the one to pick them up when they're down. Be the first one to congratulate them after each and every game. Be the one they see smiling from ear to ear whenever they look up into the stands. Be the one they can always count on for encouragement. Be the one that loves them more than anyone else on the field or court!

Cheers to another great year, mamas!

What are some of your sports mama resolutions? Share them in the comment section below or in the Confessions of a Sports Mama Facebook Group!